Saturday, September 8, 2012

Better Homes and Gardens Decorating Book, 1975 - part 1


Some books, how-tos on knitting or gardening, hold their relevancy well over the years. This Better Homes and Garden ring-binder decorating book from 1975, however, probably isn't being used as a current text in interior decorating schools.


I'm not mocking -- I personally love the 70s look presented throughout the pages, but think how quickly these decorating ideas went out of vogue. Five years after this book was published, you would have been hard pressed to find a dining room like this:

Or a bedroom like this:









I truly love these colors and curves, though, and would happily eat my Special K at this table:

prepared in this kitchen:





I've focused on the hyper-mod, but I'll revisit this book at a future date and explore other decorating suggestions from 1975 integrating Early America and Victorian furnishings into a 1970s aesthetic.




1 comment:

  1. I loved this post, but have to admit I didn't love the 70s (even as I lived through them)! Those colors and patterns are just SO overpowering.

    I learned about your new blog through the Etsy Vintage Team and will be a regular follower from now on. All the old books, booklets & graphics are one of my passions, too!

    ReplyDelete